Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jokey cento

This day winding down now
(a jokey cento, composed of lines floating about in the memory)


Unlove's the heavenless hell and homeless home
(Peaked margin of antiquity's delay)
And night is all a settlement of snow

Thou foster-child of silence and slow time
My love is dark as yours is fair
Benignly vested in humility
Of her choice virtues only gods should speak

Not all the vats upon the Rhine
Twine in a moon-blown shell
The whiles her foot she in my neck doth place
And winter's dregs made desolate
The sun-cracked thwarts, the oarlocks at their strings,
Rocks, lakes, caves, fens, bogs, dens, and shades of death

Comes the cold volume of forgotten ghosts
Like Gieseking playing Scarlatti
But liquor is quicker

So, planing-heeled, I flew along my man
In such a jocund company
Announced by all the trumpets of the sky --
About suffering, they were never wrong
And left the vivid air signed with their honour

Rose-cheekt Laura, come;
Thou art divine, thou livest, as of old --
Author of light, revive my dying spright;

I die of thirst here at the fountain-side